We have all experienced dry skin. Especially during winter months due to cold air, low humidity, and dry indoor heat. But with spring in bloom, it’s time we say goodbye to the discomfort and irritation of dry skin.
Lucky for us, a few simple practices keep skin healthy, nourished, and glowing. And pro tip: these practices work year-round.
So, let’s get right to it!
How to shed dry skin
The answer: exfoliation.
Our body is covered in skin cells that naturally renew themselves. When new cells grow, the old ones can build up, leading to clogged pores and flaky skin. Exfoliating is necessary to physically remove that buildup.
There are a few different ways to exfoliate.
The first is by dry brushing. Dry brushing is when you take a stiff bristle brush and glide over the body in upright strokes. If you’d like to try this ancient-old technique, read here.
A textured washcloth and soap bar can also exfoliate. Just lather up, take a cloth, rub in circular motions, and finish by rinsing. This method is extremely gentle, and often our skin needs a more stimulating exfoliation.
Up next: natural body scrubs. This is our favorite way to exfoliate because they are gentle and effective but also have a spa-like scent, feel, and experience. Plus, they further invite a luxurious self-care moment of relaxation and aromatherapy.
What are natural body scrubs?
Natural body scrubs typically have a base of raw sugar or salt. These crystallized granules are incredible at deep-cleansing the skin. Plant oils are also incorporated for a silky smooth glide and to moisturize. Perhaps the best part is the essential oils, botanicals, and tea infusions that seal the deal on all-natural scrubs being the crème de la crème of exfoliation.
Beyond beautiful, body scrubs are also beneficial in more ways than one.
Benefits of body scrubs
Water and soap don’t always cut it, my friends. With that being said, here are the many benefits of using body scrubs:
Exfoliates by removing dry and dead skin buildup
Enables better absorption of topical treatments, like lotion
Maintains healthy functioning skin
Prevents ingrown hairs and acne breakouts
Softens and smooths the skin
Stimulates blood flow and lymphatic drainage
Grants a natural glow to the skin
Now that we know the body-loving benefits of sugar scrubs, let’s cover how to use them properly. We promise they are super user-friendly!
How to use a body scrub
First things first, frequency matters. Exfoliation is not a one-and-done deal but a habit. We recommend using a natural body scrub 1-2 times per week to regularly stimulate the skin without overdoing it.
Another thing to point out is that sugar scrubs are (slightly) more effective after your skin has soaked, so exfoliate towards the end of your shower or bath.
Below is an easy step-by-step guide to using body scrubs.
1. Take a small amount of product in your hand. You can also use an exfoliating glove if you’d like.
2. In circular motions, gently rub the scrub onto your skin. Start at your chest, and work your way down to your feet. Yes, don’t forget about your feet!
3. Rinse off any remaining product with warm water.
4. Always follow a scrub with a lotion to lock in water hydration and add extra moisturization!
And do remember that body scrubs are for the body, so we do not recommend them for your facial area.
Another way to help dry skin is to avoid it to begin with. Yes, that’s possible!
How to prevent dry skin
Exfoliating with natural scrubs and moisturizing are essential for healthy skin. But often overlooked are the preventive measures we can take to steer clear of dry skin in the first place. Let’s go over some main ways.
1. Avoid skin irritants. Chlorine, chemicals, and harsh sulfates should all be avoided. Even extremely hot water can irritate and dehydrate the skin, so opt for warm showers and baths.
2. Consider a humidifier. If you live in the tropics, maybe pass on this one. But for those living in dry climates, a humidifier constantly hydrates your skin by diffusing water into your surrounding air.
3. Hydrate from the inside out. Drinking enough water and consuming foods high in vitamins, fatty acids, and antioxidants certainly help maintain healthy and radiant skin.
4. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. Yes, it deserves to be said three times – it’s that crucial!
Tea-Licious body scrubs
Tea-Licious body scrubs blend practicality with luxury. We offer both bubbly and botanical scrubs, all with stunning, unique, and chemical-free formulations. No matter your pick, our all-natural sugar scrubs soothe, moisturize, and exfoliate so you can embrace your best skin this spring (or any season!).
Written by Sariah Vilate